Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions and Resources 



All the regulations in the following section can be found at the Ministry of Transportation links below. We do not give advice but are simply passing on information found on the Ministry of Transportation and Service Ontario websites.


Are your Trailers Made in Canada?

Rhino Trailers are made in Ontario.  All our trailers are made in North America.


Trailer Registration

How do I register my Trailer?

Instructions can be found below on Service Ontario’s website.


Do we register and license plate your trailer?

We do not Register and License Plate trailers except in special circumstances such as for a 3rd party lease company.


Why don't we register and license plate trailers?

The Ministry of Transportation requires us to obtain a signed Power of Attorney with original signature,  signed copy of an original PAID invoice, Drivers License, Insurance information as well as the NVIS (New Vehicle Information Statement) in order to do a 3rd Party registration. It is generally more convenient for the buyer to attend Service Ontario to register the trailer themselves. We have two Service Ontario Offices nearby.

Service Ontario 561 Hespeler, Road, Unit 1B, Cambridge, Ontario N1R 6J4

Service Ontario Stone Road Complex 1 Stone Road West Guelph, Ontario N1G 4Y2


What paperwork will you give me to register my trailer?

After payment in full for your trailer we will give you a NVIS (New Vehicle Information Statement); and an invoice marked Paid with the VIN, Model Year and Model number of the Trailer on both. You will need to take these to a Service Ontario location to obtain a valid Vehicle Permit and License Plates.


Ministry of Transportation Towing Regulations and Advice

I’ve never towed a trailer before, how do I get started?

Some good basic towing information can be found at the Ministry of Transportation website link below.



Do you do the annual Inspection/Yellow Sticker/Safety Certificates ?

We do not do annual inspections/ Yellow Stickers/ Safety Certificates. The Ministry of Transportation requires these to be done by an approved Safety Certificate Mechanic Shop.  The link to approved shops can be found at :


Do my pickup truck and trailer require annual inspections/yellow stickers?

Annual inspections/yellow stickers are required if:

  • the registered gross weight (indicated on the vehicle permit) of the pickup truck exceeds 4,500 kg; or
  • the gross (actual) combined weight of the pickup truck and trailer (either empty or when loaded) exceeds 4,500 kg; or
  • the combined manufacturer’s GVWR of the pickup truck and trailer exceeds 4,500 kg.

NOTE: GVWR is the maximum operating weight as specified by the manufacturer (indicated on the compliance label inside the driver’s door).

A personal use pickup truck and any trailer drawn by the pickup truck are exempt if the following conditions are met:

  • The pickup truck has a GVWR of 6,500 kg or less; and
  • The pickup truck is fitted with the original, unmodified box that was installed by the manufacturer or an unmodified replacement box that duplicates the one originally installed by the manufacturer; and
  • The pickup truck and trailer are being used for personal use without compensation; and
  • Neither the pickup truck nor the trailer is carrying commercial tools or cargo, or equipment of a type normally used for commercial purposes.


How do I determine registered gross weights for trucks towing trailers?

The registered gross weight (RGW) determines the fee paid for commercial licence plates (black and white). The truck's RGW is based on and must be at least equal to the actual weight of the truck, or the truck, trailer(s) and load(s).

The RGW is indicated in kilograms (kg) on the right portion (plate portion) of a truck's ownership, to the right of "REG. GROSS WT." One kilogram equals 2.204 pounds and one pound equals 0.4536 (kg).

A trailer permit does not have a RGW. Generally the weight of a towed trailer and its load are added to the RGW of the truck. Load includes the driver, passengers, fuel, equipment, tools, cargo, equipment, etc. carried in the truck and trailer.

"Truck" includes pickups and business-type vans with commercial licence plates. Farm plated trucks are subject to the same RGW rules.

Light trailers that transmit to the highway a total weight of 2,800 kilograms (6,173 lb.) or less are not included in determining registered gross weight.

To determine how much an attached trailer transmits to the highway and how much a truck should be registered for:

  1. Weigh the truck only, with the trailer attached.
    Illustration One - Weighing a truck only - Weight A
  2. Weigh the trailer only, with the trailer attached to the truck.
    Illustration Two - Weighing a trailer only - Weight B


If the trailer weighs more than 2,800 kg (6,171 lb.):

  • register the truck for at least the combined weight of the truck and trailer, weights A and B


If the trailer weighs 2,800 kg (6,171 lb.) or less:

  • register the truck for at least the weight of the truck (weight A), which includes trailer tongue weight
  • weight transmitted directlyto the ground by the trailer is not included in the RGW



Do I need a Safety Certificate for my trailer?


You will have to determine the requirement for Safety Certificates based on the use and weight of your trailer.  More information can be obtained below and some basic information follows:

Commercial vehicle safety requirements

Ontario takes road safety very seriously and uses a variety of methods to make sure all road users can get themselves and their goods to their intended destination safely. Learn more about the safety requirements for commercial motor vehicles operating in Ontario.

Annual Inspections: Personal-Use Pickup Trucks and Trailers

  • As of July 1, 2019, pickup trucks and trailers for personal use were made exempt from the requirement for an annual inspection — both the inspection and displaying the yellow sticker.

Commercial vehicle safety

A commercial motor vehicle is:

  • a truck or highway tractor with a gross weight or registered gross weight of more than 4,500 kilograms (kg)
  • a bus with a seating capacity for ten or more passengers

Compliance with commercial vehicle regulations is enforced on-road by Ministry of Transportation enforcement officers and police officers, as well as through facility audits.

Ministry officers and police conduct inspections on commercial vehicles to make sure they are being operated safely by qualified drivers. Where a commercial motor vehicle or trailer is found to be in such an unsafe condition that it endangers other people on the highway, the vehicle may be prohibited from operating until required repairs are made.

Commercial vehicle drivers and companies that fail to comply with many of these requirements may be fined up to $20,000.